David Crockett Elementary School

dc
  David Crockett Elementary School
700 Jasper Drive
Marshall, TX 75672
Phone: 903-927-8880
Fax: 903-927-8885
   MAILING ADDRESS
P.O. Box 43
Marshall, TX 75671-043

   • CAMPUS NEWS
 • CAMPUS CALENDAR
 • MEET OUR STAFF
   PARENT LINKS
    • CAMPUS IMPROVEMENT PLAN
  • EMERGENCY/WEATHER INFORMATION
  • ONLINE LUNCH PAYMENTS
  • SCHOOL MENUS
  • SCHOOL SUPPLIES
  • SCHOOL SAFETY
  • SKYWARD FAMILY ACCESS PORTAL
  • STUDENT CODE OF CONDUCT
  • STUDENT DRESS CODE
  • SUPPORT GROUPS
  • TRANSPORTATION
       » Bus Stop Information
   OUR PRINCIPAL
  fitzpatrickANGELA FITZPATRICK
fitzpatrickar@marshallisd.com


A native of Marshall and graduate of Marshall High School, is the principal of the new David Crockett Elementary School in 2017-2018. Mrs. Fitzpatrick moved over to Crockett in 2017 after serving MISD as the principal at Sam Houston Middle School for five years. Prior to that, Mrs. Fitzpatrick had been the assistant principal at Sam Houston Middle School for two years. She began her teaching career in MISD in 2005, teaching kindergarten at the old David Crockett Elementary until becoming SHMS assistant principal in 2010. Mrs. Fitzpatrick earned a Bachelor of Arts in Criminal Justice from Wiley College in December 1998, and a teacher certification from LeTourneau University in 2005. She earned a Masters of Educational Administration from LeTourneau in 2010.

   TEACHER OF THE MONTH
  loveraNANCY LOVERA
3rd Grade


The Teacher of the Month for March 2018 at David Crockett Elementary School, as selected by Principal, Mrs. Angela Fitzpatrick, is Nancy Lovera, third-grade teacher!

"I am so proud to announce Nancy as our Teacher of the Month," said Mrs. Fitzpatrick in nominating Mrs. Lovera. "She tried doubting herself and was always frustrated because she wanted to be perfect. Others, as well as myself, always told her she was doing a great job and her students were doing an amazing job. She often cried because she was not sure if she was doing enough. However, when the Spring Benchmark data was available her students soared and had the highest scores and growth on the campus. Thank you, Nancy, for caring so much for your students and wanting them to have the very best."

fb

Welcome to David Crockett School! We are so excited to be in our new facility, with our new school community! Please feel free to visit us and see what we are doing to help make Marshall ISD "Marshall Proud and Maverick Strong!"

OUR LEGACY
Marshall ISD has been fortunate to include many hard-working educators who have left a trail for us to follow in serving Marshall’s children in our schools. It is our goal to remember as many of these as possible, along with all of our past school communities, with the opening of our new Legacy 2017 schools. "Building A Legacy" does not primarily focus solely on the future of our schools; it is a constant continuation and merging of the past, present AND future of Marshall ISD.

pedenCHARLES PEDEN ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICES: Mr. Charles Peden returned to his hometown of Marshall in 1966 as a Social Studies teacher at Marshall Junior High. A graduate of East Texas Baptist University and former minister of music and religious education at Baptist church in Fort Worth and Houston, Mr. Peden eventually entered public education and taught Social Studies at Pasadena (TX) High School before coming back home to work in Marshall. After two years at Marshall Junior High, Mr. Peden was promoted to Principal at David Crockett Elementary, where he remains as the longest-tenured campus principal in the history of Crockett at 14 years, from 1968-1982. During that time, he played a key role in the integration of Marshall Public Schools, including merging the students and faculty of Dunbar Elementary School with the Crockett family. By many accounts, the transition was a smooth one credited to his leadership. In 1982, Mr. Peden was moved over to the new Sam Houston Middle School, where he served as Principal for seven more years until his retirement in 1989.

stinsonGENE STINSON LEARNING CENTER: Mr. Gene Stinson (left, with his wife, Fern, during the grand opening at David Crockett Elementary School on Aug. 24, 2017) served as Principal at Robert E. Lee Elementary School for a quarter-century, from 1971 until his retirement in 1996. Stinson was the longest-serving principal at Robert E. Lee, which first opened its doors to students as North Marshall School in 1887. Mr. Stinson helped develop and carry a tradition of excellence at Robert E. Lee, with a consistently strong faculty, strong PTA and thousands of students who thrived under his leadership for 25 years as a devoted leader of the oldest elementary school in Marshall.

youngCOACH KAREN YOUNG GYMNASIUM: Mrs. Karen Young (right, during the grand opening at David Crockett Elementary School on Aug. 24, 2017) joined the faculty at David Crockett Elementary as the school’s Physical Education teacher in 1986. From 1986 until her retirement in May 2016, she served thousands of students who came through Crockett and will always remember her as “Coach Young.” Karen and her husband, Steve, have three daughters – Jennifer, Erin and Rebecca, all of whom graduated from Marshall High School Coach Young served students at Crockett for 22 of her 24 total years in Marshall ISD. She also impacted the lives of students at Trinity Episcopal School for one year and at First United Methodist Day School for another five years, giving her 30 years of experience working with children in Marshall. Coach Young retired from MISD in 2016, but says her fondest memories are “all the friendships that were made and have lasted a long time…We are a family here at Crockett, always loving and caring for each other!”.

dunbarDUNBAR HALLWAY: Dunbar Elementary School opened for classes February 3, 1941, as a new school in Marshall serving African-American students in grades 1-7. The school was located at 1400 Johnson Street on what is now the Marshall ISD DAEP Center and Marshall High School baseball field and included 14 classrooms and an auditorium.

On Thursday, January 30, 1941, exactly one year to the day of the official groundbreaking for the school, Mr. E.N. Dennard, Marshall City Schools Superintendent, gave the order for students and faculty to move into the new building. The task of moving from Hillside Elementary School to Dunbar was done on Friday, January 31, 1941, without dismissing school for a single day thanks to the work of teachers, students and Mr. Earl Rhodes, Supervisor of Buildings and Grounds.

Classes began in the new school the following Monday. Professor J.H. Moore served as the school’s principal until his retirement following the 1947-48 school year. After his retirement, Mr. Travis Downs was named principal after working as a teacher under Professor Moore in Marshall for 12 years.

On Sunday, January 30, 1949, a fire completely destroyed all 14 classrooms with only the auditorium left standing. The remaining structure was divided into four classrooms for seventh and eighth grades, and grades one through six were moved to the Sunday School department at Galilee Baptist Church. The task of rebuilding the school began in March of 1949 and was completed in August of 1949, with an additional two classrooms and a kitchen added to the building.

Under the administration of Superintendent V.H. Hackney, the testing program was instituted, the curriculum was extended to include a teacher for exceptional children, and a special music teacher for all grades was added. Mr. Downs served as principal at Dunbar from 1948 until 1970, when the school closed during integration and faculty and students were transferred to David Crockett Elementary.

leeROBERT E. LEE HALLWAY: North Marshall School, the first school on the north side of town, opened on September 3, 1887, as a one-teacher school in a two-room frame structure on Summit Street. The school was moved to a small building across the street from the old Summit Church during the 1889-90 term. In the summer of 1890, the first structure erected in Marshall for a free, state-supported school was built -- a one-room house in the 800 block of Summit Street. The school continued to grow until four grades were taught in 1894. In June 1895, the East and North Marshall schools were consolidated, and a three-room schoolhouse was built at the corner of Beauregard and Lee streets near the Texas and Pacific shops. The building was destroyed by fire, however, in February 1900.

The school was then housed in the old Leach residence, located at the corner of Texas and Summit streets, until a new brick building for grades 1-6 opened for classes November 9, 1902, on Calloway Street. The school was known as North Marshall School until 1925, when it was renamed for the Confederate general, Robert E. Lee.

The first remodeling of the original brick building occurred during the 1938-39 school year. A new wing with a cafeteria, auditorium, principal's office and teacher's lounge was ready for use in late 1950. Remodeling of the old auditorium provided two additional classrooms in 1951. The northwest adjoining lot was purchased for use as a playground in 1953. A central library was ready for use in September 1960. The two-story, 14-room section of the present building was constructed adjacent to the cafeteria wing in 1968, and the old building was torn down.

In June 1961, the boundaries of the Lee and Van Zandt Elementary school zones were dissolved and as a result, Lee was known for about three years as Lee-Van Zandt. Van Zandt School was renovated in 1968 for use as administrative offices, and the original part of the building was razed in 1981. The cafeteria addition was later traded to East Texas Baptist University for land in east Marshall, and is now serving as ETBU's Band Hall.

Robert E. Lee Elementary, being the oldest school in Marshall, was the first with several innovations. Among these were the first PTA, organized in 1906; the first school gymnasium; the first drinking fountain for students and the first piano. Beginning with MISD's reorganization in 1981, Robert E. Lee Elementary served students in grades K-4 until the 2016-2017 school year, when the school was closed and consolidated into the new David Crockett Elementary as part of the MISD Legacy 2017 building program.

east endEAST END HALLWAY: East End School opened on September 25, 1905, at a cost of $19,793 and was renamed Sam Houston Elementary School for the legendary Texas hero in the early 1920s. Serving students on the east side of town, it was a high school only until the 1906-07 school year, during which grades 9-12 were moved temporarily to the Masonic Institute. On September 23, 1907, East End opened to serving students in grades 1-8.

Due to the growing population in east Marshall during the early 1950s, the Board of Education and Superintendent realized that Sam Houston (East End) School could no longer serve the demand exclusively. In August of 1953, Dr. and Mrs. Thomas B. Bailey donated 8.89 acres of land for a school, provided that the building be completed by August 1958. The Board accepted this donation and construction began in 1954 on the present site of David Crockett Elementary. The doors of David Crockett Elementary opened for classes in September of 1955, to 204 students, 10 teachers and a principal.

The Sam Houston namesake was transferred to the former Marshall Junior High, which was opened in 1964 on East Border Street, when MISD reorganized under court order in 1981. At that time, the old East End/Sam Houston Elementary was closed. On October 12, 1981, the school board accepted a bid for the vacant building. In 1997, MISD once again gained ownership of the school in a court settlement, but returned it to private ownership in 2004.

sam houstonSAM HOUSTON HALLWAY: The original Sam Houston Middle School opened in September 1964 to serve students in grades 7-8 and was originally named Marshall Junior High School. The facility was constructed out of funds made available in a $4.6 million bond issue in 1962. 

The school's namesake, Sam Houston Elementary, had opened on East Houston Street as East End School on September 25, 1905. It was renamed after the legendary Texas hero in the early 1920s. It was a high school only until the 1906-07 school year, during which grades 9-12 were moved temporarily to the Masonic Institute. On September 23, 1907, East End opened to students in grades 1-8. An auditorium was added in 1925, the inside was improved in 1939-40, the auditorium was converted to a cafetorium in 1951 and the building was re-roofed in 1954.

Growth in population on Marshall’s east side in the 1950s made it necessary to add another school to that part of town. David Crockett Elementary opened in 1954 to help ease the overcrowding at Sam Houston. When MISD reorganized in 1981 under court order, the eighth-grade campus became one of two new middle schools for fifth and sixth graders. The old Sam Houston Elementary School closed that year, and the newly organized middle school assumed the name.

On October 12, 1981, the MISD Board of Trustees accepted a bid for the vacant building. In 1997, MISD once again gained ownership of the school in court settlement, however; but on April 5, 2004, the building returned to private ownership.

Since 1981, Sam Houston Middle School has served students in grades 5-6 along with the district's other middle school, Price T. Young. The site of Price T. Young was used for construction of a new elementary school, Price T. Young Elementary, in the Legacy 2017 building program. The old middle school building was demolished upon completion of that project. The Sam Houston Middle School facility was renovated to serve as a new Sam Houston Elementary.