Marshall Junior High School

mjhs
  Marshall Junior High School
2710 East Travis Street
Marshall, TX 75672
Phone: 903-927-8830
Fax: 903-927-8837
   MAILING ADDRESS
P.O. Box 43
Marshall, TX 75671-043

   • CAMPUS NEWS
 • CAMPUS CALENDAR
 • MEET OUR STAFF
   PARENT LINKS
    • ATTENDANCE REQUIREMENTS
  • CAMPUS IMPROVEMENT PLAN
  • EMERGENCY/WEATHER INFORMATION
  • ONLINE LUNCH PAYMENTS
  • ONLINE TEXTBOOKS
  • SCHOOL MENUS
  • SCHOOL SUPPLIES
  • SCHOOL SAFETY
  • SKYWARD FAMILY ACCESS PORTAL
  • STUDENT CODE OF CONDUCT
  • STUDENT DRESS CODE
  • SUPPORT GROUPS
  • TRANSPORTATION
       » Bus Stop Information
   OUR PRINCIPAL
  martinYOLONDA MARTIN
martinyn@marshallisd.com


Mrs. Yolonda Martin is in her first year as Principal at Marshall Junior High School, the first person to serve as principal of MJHS in our new Legacy 2017 facility. Mrs. Martin served previously as Assistant Principal at MJHS for two years before being named Principal in August of 2017. Before MISD, Martin had previously served as principal at Windham School District Telford Unit in New Boston from 2003-2012, where she had full responsibility over the campus and its academic, behavioral and vocational programs. Prior to her time as principal, she served an additional seven years as vocational counselor at Telford Unit. Her responsibilities at MJHS as assistant principal included staff evaluation and monitoring, and development of the school’s master schedule. She also supervised extra-curricular activities. Mrs. Martin holds a Master of Science in Counseling and Psychology from Texas A&M Texarkana, as well as earning her Mid-Management certification from Southern Arkansas University. She earned her Bachelor of Science in Education (Physical Education/English) from East Texas State (now Texas A&M-Commerce).
   TEACHER OF THE MONTH
  reintsCATHY REINTS
Mathematics


The Teacher of the Month for March 2018 at Marshall Junior High School, as selected by Principal, Mrs. Yolonda Martin, is Cathy Reints, Math teacher.

"Mrs. Reints always has a student-first attitude and is dedicated to MJHS," said Mrs. Martin in her nomination of Mrs. Reints. "She is the epitome of what it means to go above and beyond. Many times she offers to spend her time helping students from other classes and grades so they may be more successful. Her Algebra students always do well but she is currently spending PLC and Conference time tutoring other math students. Now, that is a team player! Cathy does whatever it takes and gets some very big hugs from our great kids for all her efforts!"
fb

Welcome to Marshall Junior High School! We are so excited to be in our new facility, with our new school community! Please feel free to visit us and see what we are doing to help make Marshall ISD "Marshall Proud and Maverick Strong!"

OUR LEGACY
Marshall ISD has been fortunate to include many hard-working educators who have left a trail for us to follow in serving Marshall’s children in our schools. It is our goal to remember as many of these as possible, along with all of our past school communities, with the opening of our new Legacy 2017 schools. "Building A Legacy" does not primarily focus solely on the future of our schools; it is a constant continuation and merging of the past, present AND future of Marshall ISD.

GA ROSBOROUGHG.A. ROSBOROUGH ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICES: Mr. Garfield Alton Rosborough retired from the Marshall Independent School District after 48 years of service to Marshall students, including 28 spent as Principal at Pemberton High School. At the time of his retirement in 1972, Mr. Rosborough was one of just two educators to have served as principal of Pemberton High School – along with the school’s namesake himself, Mr. H.B. Pemberton.

Born in Harrison County in the Nesbitt community in 1903, Mr. Rosborough graduated as salutatorian of Central High School in Marshall in 1918. He earned his Bachelor of Arts degree from Wiley College and taught school in Oklahoma one year before returning to Central High School in 1924.

He was named Principal of Pemberton High School in 1944, and for the 28 years he spent as Principal the school never lost its “A” rating with the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools established in the early 1920s under Professor Pemberton.

While serving as Principal, Mr. Rosborough earned a Master of Arts degree from the University of Colorado in 1947. During his administration, faculty size increased from an original number of 14 to 76 in 1971. Classrooms at Pemberton increased from 15 in 1944 to 47 upon his retirement.

Under Mr. Rosborough’s leadership, course offerings added included Modern Languages, Physical Education for boys and girls, Speech, Journalism, and Social Studies. He also added vocational courses such as Agriculture, Cosmetology, Vocational Office Education, Industrial Cooperative Training and Coordinated Vocational Academic Education.

His overall impact on Marshall and the local school district was highlighted at his memorial service on April 28, 1978, with tributes presented by such leaders as U.S. Congressman Sam B. Hall, Marshall Superintendent Truitt Ingram, past Superintendents Von Rhea Beane and V.H. Hackney, and the Harrison County Unit of Retired Teachers.

PEMBERTONH.B. PEMBERTON LEARNING CENTER: Mr. H.B. Pemberton came from modest beginnings as the son of former slaves to be one of the most influential and iconic educators in the history of Marshall schools.

Born January 20, 1867, he was the oldest son of Charles and Eliza Pemberton. His parents settled in Marshall in 1876 when he was nine years old. Pemberton received a degree from Wiley College in 1888 and was the first to graduate "magna cum laude."

He taught as a professor at Wiley until 1894, when he approached Superintendent C.F. Adams to request the establishment of an organized school system for Negro children. Adams offered Pemberton the Principal position of one of the schools, and Pemberton asked for a school building separate from church connections. But there were no public funds, so he then bought a dilapidated church building on the present site of the Travis Terrace Building with money borrowed on his own personal note. The note was soon paid with the support of citizens, the land was deeded to the city, and a two-story, four-room brick building was erected in 1895 and named Central School.

The Central faculty included two men and two women and served grades 1-7. Pemberton again petitioned the school board and four more rooms and and an auditorium were added to the campus for a high school in 1916. Pemberton then became the Principal and only teacher of Central High. Eleven grades were taught and enrollment grew to 1,000.

In 1925, a site on Rosborough Springs Road was purchased for a new school to house high school students only. The old Central School became known as Hillside School. The high school enjoyed a good reputation, and around 1940 was given the highest rating accorded African-American high schools. It was listed as one of the top six or eight in the state, putting it on par with those in Dallas and Houston.

In 1941, the school board unanimously approved a petition with over 5,000 signatures to change the new school's name to H.B. Pemberton High School, in honor of the man who stepped out and created the beginnings of public education in Marshall for Negro children.

Pemberton died on April 27, 1944, and was succeeded by G.A. Rosborough, who served until his retirement in 1972. When Marshall schools integrated in 1971, Pemberton High School began serving ninth grade students only in 1972, following integration of the school district in 1971.

When the 1986 bond election provided funds for a new wing at Marshall High School on Maverick Drive, Pemberton High School ceased operation as a public school in the spring of 1988 and was sold to Wiley College. It now serves as the Pemberton Heritage Center and is still located at its original location on Rosborough Springs Road.

payneDR. JERRY PAYNE FINE ARTS CENTER: Dr. Jerry Payne served as Director of Bands in Marshall ISD from 1977-2002 and built the program literally from the ground up into one of the most respected high school bands in the state.

Born in Ruston, La., on December 10, 1935, young Jerry started his music career in the sixth grade with the use of a $30 used metal clarinet but later picked up his instrument of choice, the saxophone. Like many other young musicians at that time, Payne hoped to be a professional saxophone player and was a member of a high school dance band known as “David Ward and His Rhythm Ramblers,” as well as becoming the student leader of a group known as the “Demonaires” in college at Northwestern State College. A bad experience in high school band as a student convinced him to study music and become a student teacher while at Northwestern State College in Natchitoches, La.

After graduation from Northwestern, he married his college sweetheart, Marilyn Pippen, and three days later began his teaching career at Alexandria Junior High. After 10 years at AJH, he returned to Northwestern for graduate work and earned his Master of Music Education and Specialist in Education degrees. He returned to Alexandria and helped open a new high school, Alexandria Senior High, which he quickly built into one of the best bands in the state.

After receiving the Doctor of Education degree from Northwestern in 1973, Payne finished his final four years in Louisiana as Director of Bands at Northwestern State University, his alma mater. He then retired in Louisiana and moved to Marshall, Texas, hoping to rebuild a struggling band program. He and his loyal staff composed of Al Hobson, Rick White, Anthony Robinson, Josie Ross, Beth Bienvenu, and Terry Hopkins, worked diligently for 25 years to restore the Marshall band program to a place of respectability.

Under his leadership, the program developed into one of the finest in the state. The band program grew in size and quality and earned numerous UIL Sweepstakes awards. Fourteen years after his Alexandria Band was the Louisiana Honor Band at Four States, his Marshall Band was selected as the Texas Honor Band. The Marshall High School Band regularly performed with guest artists of national prominence, including Wayne Dyess, Norman Brentley, Donald Sinta, and Tommy Newsom.

Dr. Payne was honored in 1987 by having his name placed on the "Wall of Distinction" at the Marshall Courthouse Museum under the category of "Composer-Conductor." In 1990, he was the first inductee into the Band Directors' Hall of Fame at his alma mater, Northwestern State University.

Upon his retirement in June 2002, he was greatly honored by his students over the previous 45 years, family, friends, and colleagues with a Surprise Retirement Party including a 100-plus member "Tribute Band," comprised of former students from Louisiana and Texas spanning his career. The Tribute Band performed a special composition, "Reflections of an Era", composed for the occasion by former Marshall High School student, Key Poulan. Dr. and Mrs. Payne were presented with an all-expense paid trip to Europe as a retirement gift from his former students.

In 2002, he was inducted into the Louisiana Music Educators Hall of Fame and with his induction to the Texas Bandmasters Hall of Fame in 2004, he became a member of the Hall of Fame in two separate states. In 2016, Dr. Payne was inducted into the Mrs. H.D. Dear Sr. and Alice Estelle Dear School of Creative and Performing Arts Hall of Fame at Northwestern, for his lifelong contributions to the arts.

toddCOACH WILLIE TODD ATHLETIC COMPLEX: Coach Willie Todd spent his career as coach and teacher at both Pemberton High School and Marshall High School, as well as spending four years as the head football coach at Karnack High School where he started the football program.

He earned a Bachelor’s Degree from Huron College and a Master’s Degree from Prairie View A&M. He was a coach at Pemberton High School before integration and continued to serve as a coach at Pemberton when the campus was used as Marshall’s ninth-grade campus following integration from 1976-1984.

When coach Dennis Parker arrived in Marshall in 1984 he moved Coach Todd back over to Marshall High School to join his varsity coaching staff with the Mavericks. Coach Todd served as an assistant football coach and was boys head track coach at MHS until his retirement.

Coach Todd was also a popular and respected classroom teacher along with his coaching duties, teaching a variety of subjects that included American and Texas history, Geography, World History, Economics, Zoology, Health, Physical Education, Sociology and Black History.

johnsonORA ASA JOHNSON HALLWAY: Mr. Ora Asa Johnson graduated from Pemberton High School in 1952 and would return to serve as Principal at his alma mater in 1976 following the desegregation of Marshall schools.

At the time he began serving as Principal, Pemberton was serving as Marshall ISD’s ninth-grade campus. Mr. Johnson would serve in this capacity for 12 years until Pemberton was closed following the addition of the ninth-grade wing at Marshall High School in 1988.

Following the closing of Pemberton, Mr. Johnson moved to Marshall Junior High School and became Principal there beginning in the 1988-89 school year. He continued to serve Marshall students in this capacity until an illness in the 1993-94 school year prompted him to step down as principal and retire from MISD.

Mr. Johnson passed away in November of 2004 but carries a lasting distinction as the last principal to serve at Pemberton High School as well as also having faithfully serving Marshall 7th and 8th grade students at Marshall Junior High School.

wallJIMMY WALL HALLWAY: Mr. Jimmy Wall served as principal from 1976-81 at the location of what is now Sam Houston Elementary School on East Travis when it was Marshall ISD’s eighth-grade campus.

Mr. Wall was the last to serve the school in that location as an eighth-grade principal before moving to Price T. Young Middle School in 1981 upon MISD’s reorganization into two middle schools housing the district’s fifth and sixth graders. Mr. Wall served at PTY until 1988, when he transferred to administration at Marshall High School.

Five years later, Mr. Wall was named Assistant Superintendent of Instruction in MISD in 1993. Overall, Mr. Wall and his wife, Nila, who was a teacher in the district, spent 30 years serving Marshall students before retiring from MISD.

edmondBLAINE EDMOND HALLWAY: After driving a truck around Africa, Italy and Germany as a member of the United States Army during World War II, Blaine Edmond realized he would rather sit behind a desk than a wheel. He returned to America and served 39 years as an educator in Marshall, Texas, retiring as principal of Marshall Junior High School in 1988.

After receiving a B.A. degree from Bishop College, Mr. Edmond went to work in 1949 as a fifth-grade teacher at Dogan Elementary in Marshall. Other assignments in his career included teaching Social Studies and serving as an assistant to the principal at Pemberton Junior High School; assistant principal at Marshall Junior High School (on East Travis Street, prior to it becoming Sam Houston Middle School); and principal at Pemberton/Price T. Young Junior High.

Mr. Edmond was serving as the principal at Price T. Young when Marshall’s schools reorganized in 1980 with the opening of the new Marshall High School. The old Marshall High was being renovated to serve as a Marshall Junior High School on West Houston Street, and when that facility opened in 1981 Mr. Edmond was named its principal. He was the first principal to serve in the facility upon it becoming the district’s junior high school, which ended with the opening of the new Marshall Junior High as part of the Legacy 2017 building program. Mr. Edmond retired from Marshall Junior High and MISD in 1988 and passed away on June 11, 1996. He will forever be remembered for his consistent service and dedication to thousands of Marshall students.

phsPANTHER HALLWAY: From 1925 when the school first opened until it closed to public school students in 1988, Pemberton High School cultivated a rich heritage that still lives on today in Marshall, Texas.

In 1925, a site on Rosborough Springs Road was purchased for a new school to house high school students only. The old Central School became known as Hillside School, and the new school opened as Central High School. Under the tireless leadership of H.B. Pemberton, who had founded the old Central School as the first school for African-American children in Marshall in 1895, the school quickly developed a reputation of excellence, and around 1940 was awarded the highest rating accorded to African American high schools. It was listed as one of the top six or eight schools in the state.

Due to Pemberton's diligent dedication to seeing education expand for all of Marshall's children during his career, the school board unanimously approved changing the name of the high school to H.B. Pemberton High School in 1941 after receiving a petition with over 5,000 signatures. Mr. Pemberton died on April 27, 1944, but left behind an iconic legacy for Marshall's public schools.

The high school bearing his name, with the mascot "Panthers," continued as one of two high schools in Marshall until Marshall schools were integrated in 1971. At that time, Pemberton began serving Marshall's ninth grade students until 1988, when a new wing to house freshmen was opened at Marshall High School. At that time, Pemberton High School ceased operation as a public school, and was sold to Wiley College. The building still stands today and houses the Pemberton Heritage Center.

mavsMAVERICK HALLWAY: On July 24, 1895, Marshall University trustees presented a 30-year lease to the Marshall Public Free Schools with a right to renew. Three years later, on September 12, 1898, Marshall High School began operating in a building leased from Marshall University. The first MHS had only two teachers, 30 students and five subjects -- Latin, English, History, Math and Science. Only grades 8,9 and 10 were taught at first. By 1900-01, the high school went through the 11th grade. From 1901-02 through 1910, 12 grades were required for graduation. The 12-grade system was reintroduced in 1936. The first graduating class had one student, Miss Verbena Barnes, and in 1900 there were three graduates.

In February 1910, the city school board began deliberations with Marshall University trustees for a building site, located at 600 West Houston Street. On March 29, 1910, the trustees conveyed their property to the Marshall School Board as a site for a high school building. It was agreed that the new school would be called Peter Whetstone School -- but it never was.

In September 1911, 200 high school students moved in. By 1914, it became necessary to add four classrooms and enlarge the study hall. By 1923 another building change became necessary, so the old Marshall University building was torn down and replaced with a new building facing West Houston. From 1924 until 1940, the high school remained in this building. In 1939, the building erected in 1911 was removed to make way for an addition to the campus. This new building, which faced College Street, served as the high school. The junior high remained in the old portion until the seventh and eighth grades moved out in 1964, providing more room for a growing high school.

A successful bond issue under Superintendent Truitt Ingram in 1976 led to construction of a new high school for Marshall. In September 1980, students in grades 10-12 stepped into a "comprehensive" $6.7 million, 212,000-square foot facility on Maverick Drive. The school had an initial capacity of 1,600 students and basic facilities for 2,000. Its features included a 2,000-seat gym with three courts, 600-seat auditorium, multi-tiered dining area for 500 and separation of academic classes from shop, band and choir areas. Outside the building were a 7,000-seat stadium with all-weather track, a 12,000-square foot field house, six tennis courts and a baseball field. A facilities study in 1986 led to the opening of a ninth-grade wing. A supplemental field house for baseball, cross country, soccer and tennis opened at the north end of Maverick Drive in December 1988. In 1993 came a 2,000-seat addition to the stadium, a new track and an addition to the band hall. In fall 2002, a new program, the Air Force Junior ROTC, moved into a portable structure building north of the main building. All-weather turf was installed in Maverick Stadium in the summer of 2003, and was replaced in 2015. In the spring of 2004, construction began on an addition to the field house, about a third of which was financed through private donations.